Template

Friday, October 06, 2006

Garbage Recipe

We've got friends coming to spend the night. Even though I've still got a sick kid (or two) we're hoping to have a fun weekend. We'll take all the well kids a free workshop at Home Depot. We're going to make a lego cake . Family Fun has the picture and directions.

I got special permission from our friends to let the kids "Do the sled." Dave created this sled on wheels with the kids using 2x4's, plywood, rollers & cabinet handles. It's just a rectangle that's long enough for a kid to lay on his belly with his knees bent, legs held in the air, hands on the sides holding onto handles - all on rollers. Dave hooks it onto the back of his bike and takes them to an empty parking lot. It looks alot like a boat with an innertube. They sure do have a good time. I wont' really have anything to do with it, but from what I hear, I'm not a very fun mom.

My kids would like to introduce their kids to Garbage for breakfast. We've introduced these kids to a few dishes they now like (nachos - for whatever reason they wouldn't eat it at home, but will at our house, and Egg-in-the-bread -sometimes called Chicks-in-a-basket)

Garbage 15 minutes
Cindy's Diner

Use what you have and what you like. If I were making it for me, I'd use green pepper, mushroom & tomato in addition to the pared down kid version below. This is for a family of 6, so pare it down for less.

2 Potatoes, diced
1/2 Chopped Onion (Diced if it's for the kids to "hide" it)
Breakfast meat, cooked (we use whatever is convenient. My family's favorite is ground sausage. I keep it in meal sized portions cooked and frozen for just such a recipe on the fly, but I've chopped up sausage links, ham, bacon...we don't use very much meat in this - 6 saugsage links, or 1/3 lb of cooked ground sausage)
6 Eggs
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

I often use shredded or country-style frozen hashbrowns instead of diced raw potatoes. If I've made sliced fried potatoes the night before, I'll toss those in instead. Toss in onion, if you're using it - a little if even just for taste, to cook with the potatoes. Fry in scant oil or butter. Add in cooked breakfast meat to heat it up. After the above ingredients are cooked together, break the eggs in the skillet over the other ingredients and stir up together. You don't have to scramble them, and you don't need as much for an omlet, just really to coat the potatoes. Top with cheese just to melt and hold it all togehter (since you don't have very many eggs in it, it just falls apart). It HONESTLY looks like garbage.
The filling thing about this is really the potatoes. I serve it with sour cream (we lOVE sour cream with all our potatoes including hashbrowns). We'll see how the boys this weekend like it...

No comments:

Post a Comment