Wednesday, September 30, 2009
This is one of the better explanations of health insurance company profits I've seen. Most would consider the trend of 3-7% annual profits reasonable, hardly "excessive." Consider these 2008 profit margins of a few companies:
Revenues ($millions) Profits ($millions) % Profit in 2008
Gannett $7,481 $1056 14.1%
WaltDisney $35,882. $4,687 13.1%
Time/Warner $46,615. $4,387 9.4%
Starbucks $9,412. $673 7.2%
Aetna $27,599. $1,831 6.6%
Wellpointe $61,134. $3,345 5.4%
Humana $25,290. $883 3.4%
(Source: Forbes 500: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2008/full_list/201_300.html)
Unfortunately, an entire industry and good people are being demonized by others for political gain. More unfortunate, the majority of Americans don't have a clue.
Please read - Insurance Companies and The Profit Myth Friday, September 18, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Friday, September 25, 2009
I'm going to have to figure out how to pare down or get LOTS more energy. Times include travel time
M 8:30-10:30 Band for 3 kids (& me trying to keep the youngest 2 busy)
M 12:00 - 2:00 Co-op (& me keeping the youngest busy)
M 2:00 - 4:00 Gym (& me keeping the youngest busy - are we noticing a pattern here?)
T 12:30 - 4:30 Dd#1 Shakespeare Class
W 8:30-10:30 Band for 3 kids (& me trying to keep the youngest 2 busy)
Th 7:30-10:00 Mass & pray at abortion clinic (this one gets set aside way too often sometimes twice a month)
F I have 2 monthly committments on Fridays that take a half a day.
I also have to fit in breakfast & lunch, cleaning, SCHOOL, and outside meetings for 2 pro-life groups. The kid whose about to turn 2 is my biggest challenge right now (did I ever say I'm not all that crazy about 2-3 year olds? NOT my favorite age.)
I keep telling myself, "no one has a fatal disease, no one is presently in mortal danger, etc." God's gifts are WONDERFUL! (but they can require a bit of energy to keep up on them.)
Friday, September 18, 2009
A friend told me she's just not motivated to do any meal planning right now. Boy, I sure am.
My life is CHAOS right now (and not the happy fun kind). I feel like a chicken with it's head cut-off. I need some help -- and this will help. It may not help me get my head screwed on straight, but it's one less thing I have to think about while I'm headless.
Dinners for the month:
- M - crock pot meal once a week (pork chops, pork roast, pork stew - it was on sale)
- T - casserole once a week - 3 lasagnas (one spinach) (frozen) / 2 shepherd's pie casseroles (frozen)
- W / F - meatless twice a week (2 fish, 2 pizza, tuna & noodles, tomato soup / potato soup & grilled cheese/ tuna or egg salad sandwiches)
- Th - leftovers (or stir fry with left-over meat)
- S - mexican once a week (burriotos, quesadillas, taco & taco salad)
- Sun - once a month of each day (one Sun. = crockpot / one Sun = lasagna, etc.)
Lunches (weekday) for the month:
- M / W - sandwiches (2 hotdogs, 2 bologna, 2 chicken salad, 2 egg salad)
- T / F - Raemen Noodles (it's the kids' request - blech)
- Th - hot meal (2 SOS, 2 nachos)
- S - hearty sandwiches (2 sloppy joes, 1 hamburgers, 1 chicken salad)
Breakfast for the month:
- M - Muffins (frozen)
- T - Cold/hot Cereal
- W - Buscuits w/bkfst meat
- Th - hot meal (2 pancakes, 2 french toast)
- F - cold/hot cereal
- S - egg breakfast
- Sun (we usually end up fasting until after Mass)
Sides, snacks & sweets :
- Sides - (2 per dinner, 1 per lunch, 1 per breakfast - these are listed in MEALS not necessarily packages. After I decide how many of which sides, I convert them to how I buy them. For example a side for a meal may consist of 1/4 jar of applesauce so I buy 1 jar for each 4 meals needed - when I have a 5th side, I buy 2 jars until I'm up to 8 meals needing applesauce) a side may consist of 1 pkg of frozen veggies, 1/2 pkg of potato chips or 1/2 large container of cottage cheese as my family's tastes dictate.
10 fresh fruit (for our family it's 10 meals with fresh fruit as a side and I figure 3 apples cut-up or .75 per meal), 4 applesauce, 2 canned peaches, 4 Salad, 2 cottage cheese, 4 carrots & dip, 2 fried potato, 2 mashed potato, 1 onion rings, 4 buscuits, 4 garlic or butter bread, 20 Frozen veggies, 10 potato chips
- Snacks - I try to buy enough that I think is reasonable for the month. I think 4 evenings a week of snacks is reasonable. Once the "good" snacks are gone, they are gone and there are ALWAYS carrot sticks, peaches & butter bread available.
4 chips & salsa, 1 spinach dip & chips, 1 guacamole dip & chips, 6 nuts, 4 potato chips, a left-over side or a left-over sweet
- Sweets - I shoot for 4 sweets a week. I ...ummm...LOVE sweets!
4 homemade cookies (choc chips, oatmeal, sugar, snickerdoodle), 4 brownies, 4 cup cakes, 4 icecream and ...ok, I'll throw in 2 homemade donuts and 2 sweet rolls...oh and an extra icecream
This month I ended up $447 for the month once I made my list, subtracted what we already had in the pantry or freezer, bought bread at the discount bread store, shopped at Aldi's and ended at Wal-mart. We'll eat up the fresh items first (salad, fresh fruits) and end with canned peaches, applesauce & frozen veggies. At the end of the month I may have to be creative the last week (cinamon/sugar bread or left-over soup) if I didn't figure well, but after having a few "creative weeks" where I have to make due with what we have, I'm confident that I can do it. This doesn't include cleaners, bathroom items or diapers, but does include napkins, paper plates, & paper towels.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Me to my friend Katie, "Do I go through this much of an adjustment every year?"
Sage Katie advice to me, "EVERY teacher and EVERY student EVERYwhere goes through this EVERY year. You'll adjust."
Whew! I'm glad it's not just ME
Saturday, September 12, 2009
- I washed my hair for the first time in DAYS (isn't that terrible???) good for today, though.
- I went to Reconciliation and had to admit that it's been since LENT since I'd gone (I was really ashamed because I'd felt God calling me -- I just wouldn't answer) good for today, though.
- So while I'm making a clean break of it -- I thought I'd fess up here, too.
I...I...I really like...(oh, I can hardly spell the words)...I really like...Notre Dame football.
I DON'T WANT to like it. I want to boycott it. I want everything in my life to be consistent and since I'm sooo unhappy with Notre Dame for honoring Obama I want to be a seamless cloth. But I really like Notre Dame football -- and I'm going to watch it, again today...and .... I'll probably enjoy it. I ...even...root for Notre Dame.
I may have lost a few friends by my shameful admission...but anyone who's friends with me knows they're taking chances in many ways -- this is one more.
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Tuesday, September 08, 2009
"Write a sentence telling what you like to do in the wintertime."
I can make snow farts
YOUNG MAN! Did you write this?
I messed up the line, it's supposed to say snow forts.
Mama (suppressing the giggles)
Well, you forgot a period at the end of a sentence.