Template

Monday, October 15, 2007

What's your favorite homeschooling book?

I've read...a few...(that's putting it mildly), but not as many as some people I know.
My old stand-by favorites are :
  • Catholic Education : Homeward Bound by Kimberly Hahn - it was from this book that I internalized the "greenhouse" analogy (We're trying to raise an exotic flower in a caustic environment - a child that attains Godly virtue and balance despite the world's standards [in the world, but not of it]- and can withstand the violent winds of his environment. The only way we can strengthen this exotic flower is to grow him in a safe, loving environment, until he is strong enough to be able to withstand the caustic environment without immediately withering.)
  • The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer - I began to see the value in utilizing the child's God-given "stages" of life to promote academic excellence, rather than fighting against the child's nature. This was my first introduction to a "classical education" and while I don't use this book as a bible, I do refer to it once a year to sharpen and define my own choices, rather than rely on the book's suggestions. It's a jumping off point for me.
  • Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss - contains the striving for beauty in the everyday that I sorely lack and great literature, which I love. It's a Catholic Charlotte Mason style way of learning that I don't attain, but I do admire.

I'm wondering what your response will be. I'm tagging Amy, Heather, Anne & Jen who can post their favorites on their blogs, or you can place a comment here.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, I actually haven't read a ton of books about HSing. I read Lisa Whelchel's book, "So You're Thinking About Homeschooling" and also "Homeschooling on a Shoestring" and those were both good. I really liked Todd Wilson's "Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe" and "Homeschooling But Still Married"---that one is excellent for wives who HS! DH has read "Help! I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom" by Wilson too and said it was pretty good. I have a link to his site (Familyman Ministries) on my blog's sidebar.

    I do want to finish reading "The Undergroudn History of American Education" by Gatto sometime, but it's so long I'm not sure when I'll get back to it.

    Other than those, I really haven't read any whole books, just articles on-line here and there or in some publications that we get.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with Jenn's choices of Real Learning and The Well-Trained Mind. Those two are definitely at the top of my list! Another favorite, which is less philosophy and a lot more humor is Please Don't Drink the Holy Water by Susie Lloyd - it is laugh out loud funny (and encouraging)!

    ReplyDelete