Template

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Shredded Beef

I'm a little disappointed with the capabilities of this blog. I know it's free - but I can't download any files unless I have a picture of them as a thumbnail or something... and then if I got that digital camera for Christmas....WOW!

This weekend I'm doing 30-day cooking. It's really more than that. I'm hoping I've planned well enough to take me through Christmas with just a "booster" shot of cooking.

When I went to Aldi's and bought 3 carts overflowing ... you should have seen the looks I got. Then I went to Sam's. I've still got some stuff to pick up at Kroger that I couldn't get at the previous 2 places. Several people asked if they could join the party I was obviously having. I told them they're welcome to. When I got home, Dave had cleaned out the garage that I had trashed (well, I'd been tossing stuff in it while I cleaned the house) so that I could back into the garage - it was pouring that day. Of course, I couldn't back in and ever since that first accident the first day he put me on his car insurance policy, he's pretty cautious about me and vehicles, so he backed in for me. I sure wish I would have gotten my freezer defrosted before this fall. With my dad's illness and death, there was just no way. I did it early spring, but then the kids left the freezer door cracked open overnight... Dave was as hot as the freezer! So, we have snow mountains in the freezer and I'm trying to squeeze the food in around it...

This is my most expensive recipe, and such a yummy one!

Shredded Beef
  • Beef Roast
  • Onion Soup Packets (1 per pound of beef)
  • Water (1/2 cup per pound of beef)
Boil the roast for about 30 minutes. Put it in the fridge to cool - possibly overnight. Scrape off the grease & dispose of it. Use the boil water in the above proportions for the crockpot. Cook on high 6 hours or low 12 hours (I like to do mine overnight). Turn off crockpot & take off lid to cool. As soon as it's not going to scald me with steam, I put it in a big bowl, trim any remaining fat and shred it using a scraping motion with 2 forks (one to hold the meat, one to scrape). Then I add the crock pot juice and put it in quart freezer bags (about 2 - 2 1/2 cups per bag for our family. The recommendation is 1 1/2 cups per meal for 8 buns, but that's not enough my crew. They LOVE this one) 8lbs of roast makes about 6 meals for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment