Template

Friday, March 23, 2007

The Wedding Meme

1. Where/How did you meet? At a Catholic church that held Mass for Campus Ministries. I had just gotten dumped from a year long boyfriend I thought I wanted to marry and was looking for a fresh start and new friends (I always lost my old friends in a break-up).
2. How long have you known each other? 17 years
3. How long after you met did you start dating? 3 years. We were good friends while he had a steady girlfriend and then was engaged to her. She and I started as friends, but I ended up drifting away from her as she got engaged. I had no designs on Dave, but they just didn't seem to "belong" together. REALLY! I then started dating her ex-boyfriend and discussing marriage. All 4 of us broke up within several months of each other and Dave and I started getting together to "comfort" our friend (each other) who was in pain from a bad break-up.
4. How long did you date before you were engaged? Unofficially, 3 weeks. Officially 4 months (we were very good friends in the 3 years before we started dating and had worked through a lot of deeper issues being good friens).
5. How long was your engagement? 9 months. Our priest told us we had to wait the Church's mandatory 6 months, which we thought would physically deform us to wait that long before we could consumate our relationship. The priest was firm. Then we couldn't get married during "tax season" because of Dave's work.
6. How long have you been married? I don't keep track of those things..let me see 1995 - 2007 - 12 years?
7. What is your anniversary? April 30, 1995
8. How many people came to your wedding reception? 200
9. What kind of cake did you serve? White with buttercream frosting. I taste-tested cakes all around town during our engagement because I was raised to understand that wedding cake is one of the best tasting cakes, but you have to be sure the baker is doing it for more than just good looks. I made all the decorations for the tables and Dave blew up the balloons I wanted the hall decorated with.
10. Where was your wedding? The same church we met at.
11. What did you serve for your meal? My mom made all the food in her kitchen and brought it to the reception - meat trays with ham & roast beef, cheese tray & condiments for cold meat sandwhiches. She had relish trays, fresh chicken salad, jello salad, pasta salad, potato salad, cucumber sandwiches, and I think I made her make my favorite kind of cookie - mexican wedding rings. It was her gift to us and she gave us the money she had left-over. It was a wonderful gift!
12. How many people were in your wedding party? 3 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaids, and 2 flower girls. Many of our friends were Eucharistic Ministers, etc during the ceremony. At our first meeting with the priest to prepare for marriage he handed us the liturgy planning guide and told us not to bother to look through it until closer to the wedding. We sat down and spent all evening that first night planning the liturgy of the wedding. It was so fun! Dave & I each read the reading that had been special to us as a single person. Dave read Habakuk (Write down the vision clearly on the tablets...If the vision delays, wait for it for it shall surely come.) and I read Hosea (I espouse you to me in love and fidelity.)
13. Are you still friends with them all? My sister & s-i-l & Dave's brothers. We don't see my maid of honor or one of Dave's groomsmen, much.
14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? We laughed and giggled through the whole thing.
15. Most special moment of your wedding day? My sister forcing herself at 16 to get her hair done, put on make-up & put on a satin dress when she had the flu and a fever with chills. She didn't show it at all until she asked to leave the reception early because she wasn't feeling well.
16. Any funny moments? The wedding coordinator that was required by the church pushed me down the isle. I was waiting for a particular bar of the song I had chosen, but she wanted me down that isle. I tripped when she pushed me and caught myself by running - so I ran the whole way to Dave. It wasn't exactly the Sound of Music wedding march I envisioned, but definately more my style. Then at the reception, Dave's 3 cousins who were 4 & 5 took handfuls of cake to taste it before we got a chance to cut it.
17. Any big disasters? I was determined not to view anything that happened as a disaster. It was going to be a wonderful day no matter what happened. I had planned as well as possible and everything else was going to just be a good story, someday.
18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? We could either afford a wedding or a honeymoon and we chose the wedding. We went to a state park and stayed at the inn. It was boring, so we went to another state park. We shopped & talked & went sight-seeing.
19. How long were you gone? 1 week
20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I'd have chosen the dresses I wanted rather than choosing the color my mom suggested and I would have chosen something not so trendy (read dated, now). I'd have asked my friend Melanie to be my maid of honor. I'd have spent more money on the photographer. I may have allowed my dad to walk me down the isle. At the time I felt like I still needed to protect myself. Now that I've been loved for the last 12 years, I see God as my protector more.
21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? Left in this house. Dave has this thing about getting to sleep near the door... I don't understand it, but whatever.
22. What size is your bed? King
23. Greatest strength as a couple? Joint sense of priorities and common ideas of disciplining children. We work as good team by maintaining our own "jobs".
24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Not getting so caught up in the "work" & efficiency of life that we forget to meet the other person's emotional needs.
25. Who literally pays the bills? Dave
26. What is your song? He thinks we have lots - I don't associate one with us.
27. What did you dance your first dance to? Barry Manilow - We made it through the rain? Dave would remember better than I would. He's got a more romantic memory than I do.
28. Describe your wedding dress: A princess neckline and simple lines with little beading and no cutwork. Some lace and beading on the bodice. A long dress with a train and bustle. It was on sale.
29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? artificial (they were cheaper) white roses. The little girls carried daisies.
30. Are your wedding bands engraved? Nope. They were on sale (are you seeing a theme, here?)
31. How old were you when you got married? 26

1 comment:

  1. Um. Honey. The first song we danced to was "A Whole New World" from the Aladdin Soundtrack.

    (sidenote: And to think that guys get such a bum wrap for forgetting these things!)

    ReplyDelete