Template

Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review : Faith, Science, and Reason: Theology on the Cutting Edge

I just bought a copy of Faith, Science, and Reason: Theology on the Cutting Edge and I'm so glad I did. It's an exceptional work!

I was looking for something a little more Catholic than all the books I could find on the Creationism vs. Evolution debate to supplement our Biology for 9th grade. It looks like there are some great books out there on Creationism, Faith and Dawin, but none of them are quite where we are.

It's not a thick book at 292 pages, fully indexed. You can view the contents pages of the 12 chapters, and a snippet of the first chapter here. Faith, Science, and Reason: Theology on the Cutting Edge lends a reverence to science as 'love of God through exploration of nature.' It brings faith down to earth by defining it and discussing it as an almost tangible part of our experience -- something readily available rather than ethereal.

It's not cheap at $35, but it's also GEORGOUS!! Many of the pictures have an astronomy/universe look to them (something a Star Trek junkie can appreciate). The paper quality is good, so it feels good in my hands.

This was designed as a 12th grade Theology (philosophy?) course. I think I'll use it all 4 years and just slip chapters in where applicable in her studies.

There's so much here that's applicable to today while always drawing us to the Divine Nature of God. The reading level is closer to 12th grade and while the writing style is accessible, it's not something I can pick up and put down. It's meaty stuff and I have to digest this book. I'm reading Faith, Science, and Reason: Theology on the Cutting Edge cover to cover *just for fun* and loving it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment