Template

Friday, March 09, 2007

Alfredo Sauce

When I take this somewhere or have people over, this is a much requested recipe.

I just have a recipe for the alfredo sauce - the rest of the recipe is just tossing in a variety of (some kind of pasta, some kind of meat, some kind of veggie).

The recipe makes 10 meal portion servings (~3 1/2 cups - 4cups) that I freeze in quart-sized. Then I add whatever meat / vegetable / noodle combination that sounds good and I have on hand. Sometimes I'll add potato, cheddar & ham. Or ham, mixed veggies & whatever noodle I have (it's a little salty). I've used it to make in a white chicken/spinach lasagna roll-ups / over chicken-stuffed mannicoti / or over cheese-filled large shells. My family's favorite is frozen broccoli, chicken breasts (grilled on my george forman) & ziti - it's one of our favorite family meals as all the kids will eat broccoli.


Put it in a huge stockpot (it ends up making around 40 cups) and plan to spend a
couple of hours on the sauce (not exclusively, but you need to keep coming back
to it) I actually burnt the stuff I served last time and everyone still
loved it. I could taste it, but I didn't think anyone else would
notice.

White Sauce: used in 9 dishes (fettuccine alfredo, chicken & spinach shells, chicken & broccoli shells, straw & hay, creamy chipped beef, creamy ham scalloped potatoes, scalloped potatoes, creamy beef stroganoff, chicken & spinach lasagna)
Combine:

  • 6 cups cream
  • 7 cups milk
  • 2-3 sticks butter
  • (~3 Tblsp of fresh minced) garlic
  • 9 cups shredded parmesan cheese
  • 7 sticks cream cheese
  • 7 cups sour cream

Cook over low/medium heat until melted through. Divide into 9 meals in freezer storage bags. Add 1 lb chosen cooked meat to each dish and freeze.

I don't add my meat when I freeze it. I melt the cream cheese first (I usually have a kid do this part - it's a little boring) then add milk & rest of ingredients one by one that need melted. My first batch didn't have the cream cheese completely melted
and it was good enough to make again, but I didn't like the chunkiness.
When it's cooled a tad, I label the zip-lock bag & put it in a narrow bowl, or coffee can and ladel it into the bag that way. Freeze flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment