Template

Sunday, April 18, 2010

More Thoughts on Patience

Continuing living out my Lenten Lessons in an Easter Life, I thought my search for patience was just the beginning.

Lenten Lesson #2 1/2

Since St. John Chrysostom insists that I need to go to the scriptures for patience...I did.

My question to God:
Where do I get the STRENGTH and resources for patience?
Proverbs 19:11 A man's wisdom gives patience.

I took that to mean that my patient response to the frustrations of my family comes from or is drawn out of the well of my understanding of the situation. Not my understanding of the situation as it exists in reality, but in eternal terms.

One touchstone I use to gain an eternal perspective is death. (Weird, I know, but it works for me.) How would I view this situation in retrospect if tomorrow I was at the hospital worried about my child's well-being? Sometimes I determine that the child needs the knowledge that his behavior (for example lying) breaks our relationship down and my anger is helpful, therefore the most loving thing I can do to teach the child. Other times, I see that I'm just venting my frustration about a previous encounter with a different kid and this kid doesn't deserve/need my anger at all.

So, my understanding of the situation, not in the heat of the moment, but with an eternal perspective, gives me the wisdom to exhibit patience -- no matter what my emotions at the moment. (Let's just see how well I live that one out.)

Links - Lenten Lessons #1 / Lenten Lessons #2 / Lenten Lessons #3 / Lenten Lessons #4 / Lenten Lessons #4 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment