Template

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Interuptions - Patience

Lessons in Lent #2


The interuptions to my day feel like they're killing our time. When I have a full day of work ahead with planned teaching and grading and housework and errands, the interuptions (a kid asking me the 7th science question that I don't know the answer to, someone else wanting to plan their birthday party in 4 months, is there life on other planets?, ...) - these interuptions cause me much frustration...but they also help me "become." They transform me from using Martha's very helpful checklist and workload to living like Mary in the moment. They allow me to be swept away by the wonderful. This is truly siezing the day - Carpe Dieum.


Delight Driven Homeschooling is not something I usually strive for. I try and make my lessons fun, but if they choose not to have fun in them, that's they're choice. I'm the teacher and set the agenda. I'm the adult and have decided the body of knowledge they should be exposed to. However, in my effort to find more balance and live in the moment, I can see value in striving for some of the child's delight to lead some of the decisions. Delight Driven Homeschooling teaches the unspoken lesson that learning is fun and exciting, how to research & follow-up, that information needn't be spoon-fed and regurgitated but attacked, discovered and pursued with delight. It teaches an enthusism for life and study. Waht a gift to give our children.


So, first of all I see the need to lessen the interuptions to our school day.
  1. We will not answer the phone unless we're on lunch break or done with school
  2. I will turn down the answering machine.
  3. I will continue to remind the children when they've walked into a room talking rather than waiting to see if a conversation is already taking place.
  4. I will continue to insist that the children not yell for me from another room -- (see above.)
  5. I will have a "Save It For Later" notebook for the kids to jot down un-school, un-chore related conversation that we can have after our work is done

Then, I need to figure out how to obtain some patience and allow the children to participate in some of the leading.

The scriptures enable patience - CHRYSOSTOM:

These things were written so that we might not fall away, for we have many
battles to fight, both inward and outward. But being comforted by the Scriptures
we can exhibit patience, so that by living in patience we might dwell in hope.
For these things produce one another—hope brings forth patience, and patience,
hope.

HOMILIES ON ROMANS 27.– From: Bray, G. L. (1998). Romans. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture NT 6. (354–355). Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press.

So, I'll memorize a bible verse on patience :

James 5:7-8 Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. You too must be patient. Make your hearts firm, because the coming of the Lord is at hand.

What this verse means to me - the precious fruit I desire is virtue; the land I plant in is my children; making my heart firm is the act of will I exert in acting gentle and patient whether I feel it or not; the coming of the Lord is the fruition of my desire, the reaping of my investing in my children.

Links - Lenten Lessons #1 / Lenten Lessons #2 1/2 / Lenten Lessons #3 / Lenten Lessons #4

No comments:

Post a Comment