Template

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Teaching History Through Art

Hi Jenn- I meant to ask you about one of your books...I think it was called History through Art... It looked really good, and I was just wondering where you got it and at what age you start using it! see you soon-Anne

Anne,

The author is Visual Manna. I've been attracted to their type of art for a few years, but this is the first one I've bought. I especially like the description of their complete Art Curriculum, but haven't bought it yet. When I got Teaching History Through Art, I had to go through the book and choose which topics work with the history curriculum I'm using (Story of the World & R.C. History). I like the ideas - very diverse. I also like that it isn't written in teacher-ese. It gives a brief description of the project, a picture, and a recipe. I can figure most things out and just need ideas. It's not detailed instructions, but the instructions are just the right amount for me.


I haven't used much of it with my 1st grader. Some of the ideas would work with him, but it's a little messy to work in puple dye for Phonecians or plaster for Hittite reliefs and I'm a big sissy when a messy project comes up (you know trying to keep 4 kids on task and plaster off the dog who wants to see what's going on and the 4 year old who wants the dog to help). I have been using it with my 3rd & 5th grader more. R.C. History is so full, though, that I haven't been using it as much as I thought I would. As usual, I overbought this year.


Visual Manna has several different books for different cross-curricular subjects. Rainbow Resources has them pretty cheaply, although their shipping is a little expensive. Before I place a rainbow resources order, I usually send out an e-mail to see if anyone else is close to placing an order to go in on shipping together. Just search Rainbow Resources in their search bar for the name of the product or for Visual Manna.

No comments:

Post a Comment