Template

Friday, January 19, 2007

How to throw an easy Homeschool Party

I've learned that lots of people are happy for their kids to participate in parties a few times a year. I do everything as easy as possible utilizing all the help available and I don't stress about stuff. (Well, actually I stress about lots of stuff, but not kid parties. Perfection is impossible and not to be strived for.)

Valentine's Party Invitation
Wedensday, February 14, 2007
(Location) 10am -1pm
RSVP to (Name & Contact info)
by (Date)

Bring a dish to share for a potluck lunch.
Bring a game, activity or craft with a valentine's theme or join up with another parent.
Bring enough valentine's to pass out to each child. You can do this as a family or have each child do enough valentine's for every kid.
We'll let everyone know how many valentine's by the RSVP date.
Name : Jenn Bringing: Plates, Cups, Napkins, Lemonaide, Water Kids: Dd#1, Dd#2, Ds#3, Ds#4
.........................................
  • I choose themes like All Saints Day, Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.
    Select a location. Our local library has a room we can reserve for free that fits 40 kids comfortably. A local firestation also has rooms for free. A park in nice weather can be ideal! Often my date is determined by availability of my location.

  • Select a time that is good for YOU, the organizer of the party. If you want to check with 1 other family, that's fine. Trying to accomodate multiple families' schedules though makes a party never happen. If you build it, they will come.

  • Select a reasonable ending time. I usually choose 2-3 hours including eating time.
  • Let people know this is happening. I e-mail invitations with all the information on them including the RSVP date. If I don't get a big enough response, I ask people who have signed up if there's anyone they know who might want to come. These parties are also effective with just 1 or 2 other families besides ours. They can be done in a home.

  • I provide water & lemonaide (I'm the one with the big cooler), cups, napkins & plates and I organize it. I like potlucks. If you wanted to make it easier on the organizer, have everyone pack a lunch or don't do it over a meal time.

  • Then when it's happening, I'll watch the time to make sure we have enough time to trick-or-treat or pass out valentines and eat lunch. I don't tie myself down to a craft or activity, but float. Sometimes a parent needs more help and I have to grab someone off another place. Or someone needs a supply they left in their bag. The kids also need to know when to change stations. (Usually, someone has to remind me to watch the clock or I get chatty and forget there are 30 kids having a party around me.)

  • Each family is expected to bring something for the potluck as well as a craft or a game or an activity centered around the theme. They are in charge of paying for & bringing the supplies for their chosen activity or craft. This way we don't have to have a cost for the party. The exception to this is it may be easier for 1 person to get enough, say, pie pumpkins for the kids to decorate faces than for each parent to bring one for their kids. We also don't have to worry about a parent forgetting that detail for their kids and having kids feel left out. Then we charge the parents $1 per kid or however much to reimburse that 1 parent who bought the pumpkins.

  • I usually end up having 5 or 6 different activities. I set up tables around the perimeter of the room and divide the kids by age into groups of 5-10 kids each. Then each group rotates around the room to a table. I allow about 20 minutes per table, then holler for everyone to switch.
  • If it's Valentine's, the parents need to bring enough for each child - the same with treats for Halloween.
The schedule I use is:
  • 15-30 minutes to set up (everyone helps set the room up). Tables for each activity that needs a table, tables for food. I let everyone eat on their lap on the floor - see how I am?
  • 1 hour for everyone to get a turn at each activity or craft table

  • 20 minutes to do a group activity (either pass out candy or Valentine's or a group activity based around the theme of the party. It helps settle everyone down because they have to be quiet to hear me give instructions on the activity.

  • To pass out Valentine's or candy, I either have the kids line up and let the parents move kid to kid or have the parents line up and have the kids go parent to parent. The other option is to have the kids line up and the last kid in line passes out candy to each person in line until they're the last person in line. Once the 2nd kid gets theirs from the 1st kid, they can go down the line behind him until he's the last one. It take some time, but is orderly.

  • 30 minutes to eat & chat (you may need a little more for a potluck)

  • 20 minutes to clean up.

  • I usually try and give myself about 20 mintues wiggle room that isn't scheduled. That way I'm not pushing the kids to go faster to pass out Valentine's, etc. because I'm stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment