I do like book reports because when I'm not available to discuss with the kids each book they've read, I'd like them to reflect on it. I also sometimes just need a small writing assignment and it seems to fit in how easy they are to do.
Here are some of my favorite book report ideas:
- Find a critic's review of the book and write a comparison/contrast from your perspective
- Compare / contrast yourself with the main character
- Make a list of 10-15 rules to live by that the main character lives by. Compare this to a list of rules others want him to live by. What is the outcome?
- Make a test (and answer key) for the book
- Put yourself in the role of main character. What would have been different?
- Tell what way this book has added to your life? What have you learned? What have you discovered about yourself or others?
- Write an alternate ending for the book
- Do a character sketch (give the moral, emotional, emotional, physical and circumstantial characteristics of one of the people in the book).
- Explain why you would or would not want to live in a world presented by the author
- Write a jeopardy game / questions about the book
- Plan a party with a theme based on the book.
I also liked this link.