Template

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

2nd Place


Ds#4 won 2nd place in the library's poetry contest for Kindergarden. The theme this year was "If I could go anywhere..." In the K-12th competition, there were 900 entries submitted this year. I think all the kids did a great job!!

Ds#4 had all the ideas, I looked up words in our Rhyming Dictionary (I've LOVED that thing!) and suggested them to him, and he came up with the line. I did help him with meter and syllabication, but the rest was all him.

People have asked him what a canimal is. He made it up when he didn't like the words available to rhyme with animal. He described it to me and submitted a picture of one with his poem.

Rescuing Animals

If I could go anywhere, I’d rescue an animal.
I like them a lot,
but I’ve never heard of a canimal.

I would rescue a baby elephant
when it gets lost
Or a baby lizard
stuck in applesauce.

A baby dolphin
bit by a shark
Or a beaver’s dam
made of bark

A baby alligator
without a dad
He ran away
and made his mom mad.

If I ever found
a yellow striped canimal
I’d rescue it too,
because it’s an animal.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww...what a sweet, precious poem! Congrats to DS#4!!

    ReplyDelete