Template

Monday, August 20, 2007

A "living" solar system

I'm not sure if it's because it's in our "living room" (our library) or if it's because by hanging it by thread from the ceiling the planets turn, but the kids dubbed this our "living solar system". It's not done, but we'll add to it throughout the year. We've got lots of moons to add around Jupiter and the backs of all the planets are white, so we'll take them down and have the kids color the backs as they study that planet. As you can see, Dd1 did all the work. My effort was waddling to the teacher's store to find the bulletin board set. There was a time when I resisted allowing all our living spaces to be turned into a school. Now, I'm just happy to find the right materials at the right price to turn things into a learning environment.
I know we have to move Jupiter -- I knock into it each time I try and sit on the loveseat. I'm not sure if all those planets hanging from the ceiling will drive me crazy or not. It's possible in frustration I'll rip them all down. It's also possible that the new "sticky wax" we used to hold up the strings won't do the trick. The kids think the room has been transformed and are all very excited about their new school room in space.

No comments:

Post a Comment