Template

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dried Beans

I'm trying to use more dried beans in recipes (it meets my criterea of cheap & healthy) and my family liked this recipe with bbq sauce added to it - Bramble Beans

I also make my own Refried Black Beans -- I love filling my freezer with just about the same amount as I'd spend on one meal!

I also made Sante Fe Burritos that everyone ate well (except my picky Ds#3, but we let him go hungry alot). I fuged the recipe alot and it still came out great! (I used a little hot sauce and a regular can of tomatoes, I used a mixed bag of dried beans cooked up and just measured out 10 cups, salsa instead of picante sauce, and I used the reserved chicken from the Chicken & Dumplings recipe I gave you a few days ago.

Santa Fe Beans Burrito Recipe brought by my friend Lisa when I had a baby.

Cooked & chopped chicken 3 C.
Canned corn, drained 15 oz.
Black beans, drained/rinsed 15 oz.
Black-eyed peas, drained 15 oz.
Pinto beans, drained 15 oz.
Ro-Tel tomatoes* 12 oz.
Picante sauce 15 oz.
Chili powder 1 T.
Cumin 2 t.
Shredded cheddar cheese 1 C.
**Buy: tortillas (2pkgs), sour cream and shred cheese to serve with
*Ro-Tel is a brand of canned tomatoes with chopped chili peppers added.

Assembly Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, corn, black beans, black-eyed peas, pinto beans, tomatoes and picante sauce. Add the chili powder and cumin, stirring until evenly mixed.
Freezing Directions:
Put mixture in a one-gallon freezer bag. Put the shredded cheddar in a quart freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze both bags.

Serving Directions:
Thaw both bags. Pour the bag of chicken mixture into a spray-treated 9”x13” pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated through. Remove foil. Top with shredded cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Lisa told me: after I thaw and cook it, I like to wrap it in tortillas and serve with shredded cheese and sour cream, instead of melting cheese over the top and serving as a casserole (which we did try, I prefer the burrito version). This is how I make it.

What yummy way do you use dried beans??

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of the bean (texture issues!) but this winter I cooked a bunch in the crock pot and froze portions in freezer bags to then thaw and use in chili. I liked that b/c they were all mashed up and I didn't notice them as much in the chili then. LOL

    ReplyDelete